I ripped the top at the crack and then jointed the boards and glued up the panel. I then took a peek at the trestle. The top was secured with screws that left no room for movement in the top. So I slotted a few holes and re-attached the boards in a way that would allow the top to expand and contract again without cracking.
Lastly I made some wedges for the cross member on the trestle stand. This added a ton of stability.
After sanding the top down I was going to re-stain it to match the bottom, but I thought it really looked good as it was. So I put two coats of shellac on the base and 4 coats of poly on top and posted it back on craigslist.
I have someone coming to look at it tonight...
EDIT: And they took it home with them. It was a fun and simple flip and now I have some more green in my pocket.