The process for making this is part craft project and part woodworking. To start, we'll channel your inner preschooler and break out the food coloring!
To help the coloring wick through the material I chose to use some denatured alcohol. In my original tissue I used water. Both worked well, but the thinking with the alcohol was that it would dry faster and could then be cast in resin sooner. Any moisture in the tissue would ruin the casting. So a dry tissue is important!
|I start with a simple tissue, wet it down and add some food coloring|
|Having grade school flashbacks yet?!|
The mold is made from melamine. I buy it at the Home Depot in the shelving isle. This one measured 3”x 6” x 1” and was put together with screws and taped around the outside. This also the first time I use a mold release agent. It worked well, and allows me to use this mold again in the future.
The epoxy resin used here is West System 105 resin with the
207 (clear) hardener. It didn’t take much to put a small layer over the tissue
paper. Once poured you will have some bubbles in the resin that you will need
to pop. Applying a bit of heat with a heat gun will do the trick.
|Cut to size and add some tissue to the mold|
|Using a heat gun will remove most of the bubbles suspended in the resin.|
For the light portion, I simply used the bits from a Dollar Store night light. I was an easy process of cutting off the clip and now we’ve got everything we need for our mod.
|clamp it down and keep your fingers clear.|
|cut whatever shape you like|
|Takes about 20 minuted to run through the grits and give you a high polish.|