The ornament almost has a stone quality to it with the ribbons of cotton running through the ornament. It was a pretty easy project and certainly one worth trying!
I started by filling a small water bottle full of cotton balls. Then I mixed up about 10oz of epoxy and poured it in. At this point I had no idea what it was going to look like, or if it was going to turn out at all.
I gave the epoxy a day to cure before attempting any work. Then it was off to the lathe. Since the bottle had been misshapen from the heat of the glue curing, I had to square up the bottom on the band saw.
After that I switched to a 60* cone center and that gave me access to the top of his head. and the nice starter hole for my eye hook. After a little more refinement I wet sanded to 400 grit and called it done!
I think it's one of my favorite pieces. It has a stone look too it and an elegance I was not expecting from glue and cotton balls! Thanks for looking!